The community was first started as an Army Air Corps resting camp during World War II along the shores of Lake Havasu City. In 1958, Robert P. McCulloch bought 3,353 acres of property on the east side of the city along Pittsburgh point, the peninsula that eventually became “the island”. After four years of planing, McCulloch purchased another 13,000 acres of federal land in the surrounding area. The city itself was established on Sept. 30, 1963 by a resolution of the Mohave County Board of Supervisors as the Irrigation and Drainage District, making it a legal entity.
For more information on Havasu visit http://lakehavasucitydirectory.com/lake-havasu-city-highlights/